JUST WEEKS after one senior medical officer called for the decriminalisation and taxing of prostitution, a senior university professor and community health specialist is calling for the legalisation of what is regarded as the world’s oldest ‘profession’.
The pros and cons of prostitution
1. Stemming the HIV/AIDS pandemic.
2. Health-care professionals are provided with easier access to prostitutes, thereby offering regular testing and counselling.
3. Country provided with well-needed money from taxing sex workers.
4. Sex workers would be able to work in a safer environment with increased protection from law enforcers.
5. The criminalisation of prostitution allows for the abuse of women and encourages human trafficking.
1. Prostitution is morally wrong and sinful
2. Gaining income from a sinful act would only bring a curse on the nation rather than benefit the country.
3. Legalising prostitution would be almost like legalising violence against women.
4. Exploitation of women and their bodies.
5. Legalising prostitution would not help to control the spread of HIV/AIDS, if anything, the problem would get worse.
CLICK POST TITLE FOR FULL ARTICLE